Thursday, April 10, 2008







I love it when readers reminisce about their childhood in Carroll Gardens. Yesterday's post on the proposed bar at the corner of Union and Hoyt prompted a reader to leave this wonderful story about going to school at St. Agnes and the stores that once occupied the corner.

Many, many, many years ago, when I was a student at St. Agnes elementary school, those three storefronts were occupied (from left to right)by a dry cleaner, a small grocery, and a pharmacy on the corner. I specifically remember the dry cleaner. The nuns would have their habits cleaned there because the "French" dry cleaning method was required for the fabric. The grocery store was owned by a man named Jimmy whom I remember as never cracking a smile over anything. Not once. The pharmacy was owned by Max Margolis. Max's German Shepard dog would often go to Jimmy's and carry an ice cream cone back to Max. I don't know if Max ate it or his dog....
I attended St Agnes between 1959-1967, so that's going WAY back! Sadly, the school & convent were converted to residential apartments quite a while ago.


0 comments:

Post a Comment