Saturday, November 24, 2007









Now I know that I am not an American and that I have never truly warmed up to the Thanksgiving tradition, but there is something truly weird about stuffing oneself with countless variations of starchy foods and then, without having much of a chance to digest, head to the stores at 5 Am to do some holiday shopping.
This morning, as I watched the sun rise over the most beautiful clear blue sky, thousands were on the road already to take advantage of Early Bird specials. Not me. I stayed right here in Carroll Gardens and enjoyed the peace and quiet that only comes with a four day week-end. And peaceful it was. Hardly any cars drove past my house. Occasionally, a family, bundled up against the cold, walked by on their way to Carroll Park or to brunch on Smith. It was lovely. I could almost visualize what it must have been likey in the neighborhood so long ago, before so many cars were on the road.
Holiday shopping? Yes, I have to get that done, but certainly not at the crack of dawn, the day after giving thanks. For those of you who shopped all day, you missed a lovely day in the neighborhood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment