Sunday, July 1, 2007





Hanging on for dear life, a plastic bag hung from our Callery Pear Tree in front of our house all through winter spring and now summer. Attached to the highest branch of the tree, no amount of wind has been able to dislodge it. My husband has tried to attach a few telescoping poles to each other in order to grab it and to get it down, but it became evident that "Baggie" was going to stay for a while. It was a relief when the leaves started sprouting on the tree and camouflaged this white plastic flag. Occasionally, when I look up, I see it there and cringe.
Plastic bags are distributed so freely in this country, that I always forget that the rest of the world has long stopped handing them out for free in stores. Invariably, during trips back to Europe, I have to pay 30¢ for a plastic bag because I have forgotten my shopping basket at home. That seems fair to me. Plastic bags are an environmental plague. It only seems right to make people pay for them.
Not here in the U.S. I wish someone would introduce some law against them. Uganda just did. Imagine! Uganda! Surely, we can do something similar in the States. After all, there are lovely canvas bags available to carry home groceries. And I am pretty sure they wouldn't fly up into my tree.


Why Uganda hates the plastic bag
By Mark Whitaker BBC News, Uganda

This weekend Uganda joins the growing number of East African countries which have banned the plastic bag in an attempt to clean up cities and prevent environmental damage including blocked drains.
To read the entire article click:
Why Uganda Hates The Plastic Bag
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment